Skip to content



When Can I Apply?

You can apply for the DSA at any time during your course or prior to commencing your course.

Depending on your needs, support from the DSA could include specialist equipment, a non-medical helpers allowance, help towards the additional costs of traveling to your institution and a general allowance.

Maximum allowances are meant to support the highest levels of need, so most people will get less.

The Study Needs Assessment should identify strategies you can use to participate in all aspects of mainstream higher education (despite any adverse effects your disability might have).

The report written following your Study Needs Assessment is used by Funding Bodies to determine the support they are able to pay for from the DSAs or other funding sources. The assessment report will also contain advice and guidance to help you and your University/ College agree reasonable adjustments they can make to help you get the most out of your course.